Expert Advice from Shirley Glass, PhD from her keynote speech
at the annual Smart Marriages conference.
- Affairs are less about love and more about boundaries. Affairs can happen in good marriages.
- The major attraction in an affair is NOT the love partner but the positive mirroring of the self --
"the way I look when I see myself in the other person's eyes."
- The conventional wisdom is that the person having an affair isn't "getting enough" at home.
The truth is, the person isn't giving enough.
- Most affair relationships are far more equitable than the marriages they violate.
- One of the greatest threats to marriage today is the child-centered family.
- When women have affairs, it is much more often a result of a long-term marital dissatisfaction --
and the marriages are much harder to repair.
- People often try to justify an affair by rewriting the marital history. They'll say, "I never really loved you."
- Most people think that talking about the affair with the spouse will only create more upset,
but that is actually the way to rebuild intimacy.
- The single best indicator of whether a relationship can survive infidelity is how much
empathy the unfaithful partner shows for the pain they have caused when the betrayed
spouse gets emotional and starts "acting crazy."
- Oral sex counts. It is infidelity.
- Order the very special SHIRLEY GLASS INFIDELITY DVD PACKAGE only $59 - truly
everything you'd ever want to know about preventing or recovering from infidelity. It includes
her Smart Marriages "Not Just Friends: The New Crisis of Infidelity" keynote plus her
90-minute workshop of the same title. Practical, compassionate and helpful. Package 754-GL.
Order from Playback Now On-line or at 800-241-7785.
These sessions, along with her book, will equip you as an infidelity expert - help couples, or, help yourself.
To order Not Just Friends: Protect Your Relationship from Infidelity and Heal the Trauma of Betrayal
for only $17.50 on amazon, click:
For a Dr Glass article on infidelity click here.
Return to Infidelity - You CAN Recover page
Smart Marriages Home Page